It’s Melani, your makeup and product addict here 🙂 … As usual I am always on the hunt for new and innovative beauty products and since it’s a new year let’s talk about a no brainer way to do just that! I for one am sick of wasting money on products that end up in the bottom of the makeup drawer that I find years later.
So.. in comes the beauty box subscription: Should you or shouldn’t you? And which one?? Every store and every beauty resource has one. If you want to keep up with what’s new and exciting in the world of beauty then I say go for it! I am constantly searching cosmetic company websites such as MAC, Sephora, Ulta, Dior, Chanel, Marc Jacobs, Lancôme, and Urban Decay just to keep up with what’s on trend or being released. It’s a full time job!
What attracted me to beauty boxes is that you are able to try new or just released items in a deluxe trial size and hopefully saving yourself some money in the process. In the past, I have given these subscriptions as holiday gifts and because I am such an avid makeup buyer I thought this year I would give one to myself. So how do you choose which subscription is right for you?
My top three pics:
- Ipsy Glam Bag: $10.00 Per Month, Monthly Subscription which can be cancelled anytime. This is the subscription that I have. https://www.ipsy.com/
- There are 5 deluxe size samples and a small cosmetic bag
- Your preferences are taken into account and include hair, skin, nails, and makeup
- Higher end products like IT Cosmetics, Ren Beauty, Ciate London
- Includes some drugstore brands such as NYX, however, you can request only certain brands and/or products. For example, for two months in a row I received hand cream. I updated my preferences to no more hand cream. I can also change my preferences each month.
- Ipsy also has a great app with discount codes listed and offers from the companies that are represented such as Crown Brush which is a great cosmetic brush company. This month Ipsy is offering 30% off if you are a subscriber. That is even better than the discounts offered at the professional makeup shows! Here is an example of the January Glam Bag (minus the hand cream that came with it):
- Birchbox: $10.00 Per Month, Monthly Subscription (can be cancelled anytime) or Yearly $99.00. https://www.birchbox.com/
- There are 5 deluxe size samples of beauty products but one may be substituted for stationary or a hair tie or some fun item based on preferences
- Includes all types of brands and some Indie brands from high end to drugstore
- Money saving if you choose the yearly subscription
- Full size may show up once in awhile
- Special offers and discount codes are available each month from the companies included in that month’s box
- Target Beauty Box: $7.00 Per Month, Purchased when available on http://www.target.com/p/target-beauty-box/-/A-16331809
- There are 5 deluxe samples and all items are available at Target
- Usually includes a coupon
- Available monthly however, can sell out quickly as only 20,000 are available
- Items are drugstore brands and include hair, skin, and makeup
- Great choice if these brands appeal to you and very affordable
These three subscriptions are the best bet to keep up with what is going on in the world of beauty. I have found that the Ipsy box gives the best bang for your buck in terms of quality. Next up I will review this month’s product line up from the January Ipsy bag and what discounts are available if you are a subscriber. Until then please leave comments, questions, and thoughts on all things beauty!